An astonishing 75% of Australians choose cremation over a burial funeral. The reasons for this are numerous and may include cost, environmental awareness, culture and religion. South Australia is no exception to this statistic.
This list is a comprehensive guide to Adelaide’s crematoriums:
- Enfield Memorial Park in Clearview, operated by Adelaide Cemeteries Trust (State Gov)
- Centennial Park in Pasadena, operated by Centennial Park Cemetery Authority (Local Gov)
- Western Region Crematorium in Port Adelaide, operated by Tony Monte Funerals (Private)
Arranging a Cremation Service in Adelaide
Organising a funeral of any kind is challenging, especially when faced with a barrage of emotions. Willed’s friendly and reassuring funeral arrangers can remove some of the stress. Our warm and welcoming team are available 365 days of the year and can assist you in making sure your loved one’s cremation is as seamless as possible.
South Australian Cremation Regulations
In South Australia, cremations are governed by both the Burial and Cremation Act 2013 and the Burial and Cremation Regulations 2014. These Acts stipulate the following must be met in order for the lawful cremation of a loved one:
- The Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages must issue a cremation permit.
- A cremation may not go ahead if either the parent, child or the personal representative objects to the deceased being cremated. The only exclusion to this rule is if the deceased directed in writing that their body be cremated.
- The executor of the estate can determine if the ashes are retained or disposed of.
- Cremations may only occur in a lawfully established crematorium.
Prepaid Cremations in Adelaide
In addition to the rise in number of Australians choosing cremation over a traditional funeral, so too are the number of Australians opting to arrange prepaid cremations. Prepaid cremation offers a number of benefits including paying for your funeral at today’s prices and removing the stress and burden experienced by friends and family when arranging and paying for the cremation at the time of your death. Purchasing a prepaid cremation additionally provides a clear message to your loved ones of your preferred send off.