It’s usually hard to find the right way to express your condolences when someone close to you experiences the loss of a loved one. So often, we think the best way to show our love and support for them is to give them flowers.
But we’ve done some searching for 12 unique sympathy gifts that you can send to someone grieving, instead of funeral flowers. The gifts are categorised according to how you might want to help and show your support.
Sympathy gifts to provide comfort and relaxation
Someone who just experienced the loss of a loved one might find it hard to shake the feelings of anxiety and find moments of peace. So instead of flowers, here are three sympathy gifts to provide comfort and relaxation.
- Weighted blanket. Weighted blankets can help with stress relief, and the weight can sometimes mimic the feeling of a hug. Choose one that’s chunky and knitted for extra comfort.
- Engraved candle. Candles are often associated with mourning. But they’re also related to feelings of peace and tranquillity. Giving an engraved candle with a condolence message can support your loved one through their grieving process.
- Calming and pampering gift baskets. Sympathy gift baskets are a common gift to give someone when they experience a loss. However, you can choose ones that only include items for calming and pampering. These are a great way to provide more than one way to help.
Sympathy gifts to keep busy
Grief goes through stages, and everyone can experience it differently. Some people might prefer to try and keep busy. If you feel that a sympathy gift to keep the person busy will be well received, here are three unique ideas.
- Adult colouring books. Adult colouring books took off a few years ago after research suggested they can help with feelings of anxiety and depression. Throughout the grieving process, the person might experience these feelings, and this activity might help alleviate some of those symptoms while keeping their mind busy.
- Pottery kits. During the pandemic, take-home pottery kits grew popular as an alternative to adult colouring books. For example, crockd provides craft kits that make you happier by getting you out of your head and into your hands.
- Gardening kit. Beginner gardening kits are a great way to help people start gardening who are complete beginners. It might also inspire the person to plant something in memory of their loved one or dedicate their garden to the deceased.
Sympathy gifts to lend a helping hand
Another great way to offer your sympathy and condolences is with a gift that lends a helping hand. This gift could be tangible, like vouchers they can use at any time, or it can be you providing yourself to help with day to day tasks. Here are some ideas:
- Gift voucher for groceries. When a family experiences a significant loss, a lot happens afterwards to manage the estate. This might mean that finances are messy, and purchasing the necessities might be hard. A gift voucher for groceries or pre-planned meals is a great way to offer help with a big impact.
- Offer to help with chores. Depending on how well you know the family, offer to help with chores around the house. Grief can sometimes make it hard to get daily tasks done, so your help could help turn their week around.
- Take their dog for a walk or watch the kids. If you’re close with the person and know their dog or their kids, offer to step in to help. It’s likely that person hasn’t had too many moments of alone time to really process what’s happened.
Unique sympathy gifts to pay tribute to the loved one
Finally, if you want to provide a unique sympathy gift, give them a gift that pays tribute to the person's loved one instead of funeral flowers. After carefully researching memorial gifts to pay tribute to the deceased, here are a few special ones.
- Forget Me Not Seed Necklace. This forget me not seed necklace on Etsy is a beautiful way to pay tribute to the loss of a loved one. The seed sits inside the pendant, and it's understated enough so they can wear it often and keep the memory of their loved one close.
- Memorial Star. Memorial star sympathy gifts are a unique and beautiful way to honour the loss of a loved one. The package comes with an official certificate of the name of the star and where it is located.
- Personalised sympathy gift box. Personalised sympathy boxes are a great way to give a gift that suits the type of loss. Here are three that we found for unique types of losses that you can send someone who is grieving.
If you’ve just learned that someone you know has lost someone close to them, these 12 unique sympathy gifts are an excellent way to express your deepest condolences and help them through this difficult time.
No matter what gift you choose, the thought can go a long way in making their day a little better. If the loss of a loved one has made you start to think about your own funeral, consider Willed’s prepaid funerals and cremations.