There are countless ways to express your sympathy when someone close to you has lost a loved one. Writing a sympathy card and sending funeral flowers is a meaningful and simple way to show you care. But knowing what to write on the card can sometimes be tricky, especially when it feels like there aren’t enough words to express your grief and sadness.
This guide helps carefully and specifically select your words, providing comfort to the grieving family.
When someone loses a loved one, or if you are going to a funeral, you might feel it’s appropriate to write a sympathy card. Sympathy cards are usually short concise messages that show the bereaved that the deceased is still in your thoughts. Here are some examples of what you can write in a sympathy card:
- I am so sorry for your loss.
- My deepest sympathy for your loss.
- Words fail to express my deep sorrow for your loss.
- My heart goes out to you and your family.
- I'm going to miss them, too.
When someone close to you passes away you may want to send a floral wreath or bunch of flowers to their immediate family. It is appropriate to include a meaningful message from the heart with the flowers. Here is a list with some suggestions on what to write:
Short Messages For Funeral Flowers
- Rest in peace
- In loving memory
- Always in our hearts
- With fondest memories
- Forever in our hearts
- With deepest sympathy
- So sorry for your loss
Long Messages For Funeral Flowers
- Although we are far away, we will hold you close in our thoughts and in our hearts today and always.
- You will be missed but never forgotten.
- May the peace which comes from the memories of love shared comfort you now and in the days ahead.
- I offer you my thoughts, prayers, and well-wishes during this dark time in your life.
Family Messages For Funeral Flowers
- You were my strength in good times and bad. Thank you for everything.
- Dad/Mum/Brother/Sister, you are loved dearly.
- You were my best friend. I will miss you everyday.
Popular Messages For Funeral Flowers
In loving memory of [Name], a true friend. We will miss you always. I will never forget you and your kindness. Neither time nor distance can fade a beautiful spirit.
- My condolences to you and your family.
- I was heartbroken to learn of [Name]'s passing.
- You and your family are in my heart and my mind.
- I am honoured and blessed to have known your [relation].
Religious Messages For Funeral Flowers
If you or the deceased were religious, you might like to include one of the following sympathy messages:
- Goodnight and God bless.
- You are in our thoughts and prayers.
- May you rest in peace in God's heaven.
- In God's arms may you gently rest.
- Wherever you are, God is.
Messages To Avoid When Writing On Funeral Flowers
Sometimes, the words you use may be intended to be caring but it is important that you don’t write anything that might anger or upset those close to the deceased. When writing a message it’s best to avoid expressions like:
- Everything happens for a reason
- You will see them again some day
- I understand how you’re feeling
- It’s for the best
- Be brave
- Hang in there
- Be strong
Writing a sympathy card to accompany funeral flowers can sometimes leave you wondering how to sum up your emotions in one simple message. Take inspiration from these sympathy message examples to let the bereaved know exactly how your feeling.
If you need to plan a funeral for a loved one, our team of dedicated and empathetic funeral arrangers can help.